Quick and easy, moist and flavorful, the only problem with these chicken nuggets I have found is my kids don’t want to eat chicken any other way now! A favorite on weekly rotation in our house, I hope it will be in yours too!
To make the nuggets you will need a few things:
- Pie plate or other wide shallow dish
- Microplane or zester
- a kitchen knife
- 1 cup measuring cup
- 1 tablespoon measuring spoon
- Large flat bottomed skillet
- 2# skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 lemon
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Gluten free flour (a blend works, I have also made these with oat flour, rice flour and almond flour– any of these will work)
- Avocado oil, coconut oil or butter
How to make chicken nuggets:
Prepare the flour coating
1. Mix the flour and spices, Zest the lemon
If you have never zested a lemon before, it’s pretty easy– this is a photo of my 7 year old doing it (he needed some help to finish). Simply scrape the lemon peel with the flat side of the microplane to remove the yellow part of the peel. Don’t also zest the white part underneath, it is bitter. Move around the lemon until you have removed all of the yellow parts. Tap them off into the flour mixture.
Stir all ingredients until well combined.
2. Cut the chicken into 1-2 inch pieces.
Try to make them approximately evenly sized, but know it’s not possible to make them perfect because of the pointy shape of chicken breasts.
3. Coat each piece of chicken on all sides with the flour/spice mixture and set aside.
4. Prepare Skillet:
Heat oil in your skillet to medium heat– cover the bottom of the skillet with oil so that there is at least 1/4 inch oil covering the whole thing.
5. Cook chicken:
Add chicken to hot skillet, making sure to leave space around each piece so they aren’t touching. (You will need to cook them in batches, it will not all fit at once. ) Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Check temperature with an instant read thermometer to ensure they are cooked through– poultry should be cooked to 165 degrees or more (I usually let mine go a little higher). Place on a paper towel lined plate while you continue cooking the rest. You may need to add more oil as you cook, make sure to let it heat up for a minute before adding more chicken.
Two of my kids love these dipped in ketchup. The other one likes honey. I think they are good with an extra squeeze of lemon.
Kid approved Egg Free Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- 1 cup gluten free flour almond flour, oat flour, rice flour or a gluten-free blend all will work
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 zest of one lemon use fine grater (called a microplane) to remove yellow skin of lemon
- 1/2 tsp paprika omit for nightshade free
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper optional- I leave this out because my kids hate spicy
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- .5 cup avocado oil, coconut oil or butter you may need more oil, see note below
- Slice chicken into small 1 or 2 inch squares. The won’t all be the same size or perfect and that’s fine.Mix flour and spices in a wide, shallow dish (a pie pan or a plate with raised sides works great)Coat each piece of chicken in the flour and spice mixture on all sides and set aside.Coat the bottom of a large flat bottomed skillet with oil so that there is about 1/4 inch oil covering the entire surface of the pan. Heat to medium heat. Add coated chicken in batches, taking care to leave space around each piece. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes per side (until golden brown) then turn over. Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer to make sure they have reached 165 degrees F. Transfer to a plate or serving dish and continue until all chicken is done. Note: you may have to add more oil as you are cooking as some of the oil is absorbed in the chicken and other oil jumps out of the pan.